Pediatric Neurology: What You Should Know
Mental illnesses are common in both adults and children. According to the world health organization, about 1 in 5 children suffer from mental disorders. Among the most common mental diseases include anxiety, depression, and behavioral problems.
Recognizing the diseases early can help get early treatments, enhancing recovery. If you notice strange behaviors in your child, you may consider talking to a pediatric neurologist in New York for more evaluation. Contact NY Neurology Associates to schedule your consultation.
What is pediatric neurology?
Pediatric neurology is a medical field that deals with the diagnosis and treatment of childhood neurological disorders. A pediatric neurologist has comprehensive medical education and special training about neurological conditions.
Some of the neurological disorders that affect children include:
- Cerebral palsy
- Concussion and traumatic brain injury
- Craniofacial abnormalities
- Metabolic diseases
- Mental retardation
- Neuromuscular disorders
- Neuro-genetic disorders
- Tumors of the brain and spine
- Movement disorders
- Learning disabilities
- Autism and other developmental disabilities
- Congenital malformations
- Tic and Tourette’s syndrome
What are the conditions treated by a pediatric neurologist?
At NY Neurology Associates, Dr. Saremsky offers evaluation and treatment for:
- Genetic and metabolic diseases of the nervous system that can affect brain development
- Cerebral palsy and other movement disorders
- Congenital disabilities of the brain and spinal cord
- Neuromuscular conditions
- Neurological developmental childhood issues that may affect the child’s physical or cognitive abilities
- Brain injuries and brain tumors
Dr. Saremsky also treats:
- Febrile seizures
- Sleep disorders
- Learning and speech disabilities
- Headaches and migraines
- Autism spectrum disorders
- Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder ( ADHD)
What to expect during your initial consultation?
Your provider starts with a thorough assessment, including the child’s symptoms and medical history review. Dr. Saremsky also conducts a comprehensive physical exam and may request further diagnostic tests to evaluate and accurately examine the disorder.
After finding the results, he checks if the child will benefit from other neurological care and follow-up. He creates a customized plan based on conservative treatments. The pediatric neurologist discusses your child’s diagnosis results, and also provides detailed reports for the primary care provider.
Dr. Saremsky is always available for recommendations to help manage your child’s future health. You can also contact him for your child’s regular check-ups, support, and medical care.
Diagnosis for neurological conditions in children
Your provider may request the following tests to evaluate your child’s neurological conditions.
- CT scan to get brain images
- Long term video EEG monitoring involving continuous video recording day and night
- Cerebral spinal fluid analysis
- Genetic testing
- Electromyogram nerve conduction study
When to see a pediatric neurologist?
Your health provider may recommend you see a pediatric neurologist if your child experiences:
- Poor balance
- Walking issues
- Problems moving around
- Memory loss
- Severe, frequent, ongoing headaches
- Unexplained loss of consciousness
- Lack of sensation
- Developmental delays
- Coordination problems
- Unintentional jerks
Eating high-fat and low-carbohydrate diets can help lower the risks of neurological diseases.
Consult a pediatric neurologist today
Identifying a neurological disorder in children in their early stages helps provide early treatments increasing success rates. NY Neurology Associates offers comprehensive care for pediatric neurology to enhance mental health in children. If you have a concern, contact their offices to schedule your appointment.