Different Kinds of Bedding And How To Care For Them
Having a good night’s sleep is something that every person needs to function well in their daily lives. While the places humans sleep in have changed over the course of thousands of years, the modern beds that we now sleep on have remained unchanged for quite some time now. We should give more credit to beds and how they’ve increased the quality of our lives. It is said that the average person spends at least a third of their life sleeping or on their beds, yet we don’t pay much attention to how we sleep or what we use in the bedroom unless we have some serious sleeping issues.
Who are the great unsung heroes of our good night’s sleep?
You don’t need the best bolsters or pillows to get a good night’s sleep. And while the type of mattress certainly plays a big part, it isn’t the sole determining factor in determining the quality of your sleep. Rather, it is a very important bed accessory that most people use: the humble blanket, quilt, sheets, otherwise known as bedding.
What is bedding?
Bedding, also known as bedclothes, bed linen, or simply linen, are soft materials that are laid above the mattress. The type of bedding you use may serve different purposes to other types of bedding. Some serve aesthetic purposes, some are practical, while others may serve protective purposes. Here are some of the most common types of bedding that you can encounter.
1) Mattress protectors. This type of bedding, true to its name, serves a very simple primary function: they protect the mattress. Most mattress protectors that you will see are ones used for protecting the mattress from stains and fluids, but you can find some that help protect against other things like allergens, insects, and more. Many mattress protectors are also designed with other features such as extra comfort and even temperature control!
2) Blankets. The most basic and common type of bedding, blankets are a must-have for any sleeper. Blankets are soft pieces of cloth made to cover your body while you sleep. For the more finicky sleepers, blankets can come in many different types and materials. The best blanket for the occasion largely depends upon your sleeping conditions. For example, cotton blankets are great for colder days, while light woven blankets are used in warmer weather.
3) Quilts. Ever wanted to know the difference between a quilt and a blanket? A regular blanket is composed of only one layer, while quilt blankets are composed of three layers, the top, middle and bottom. The top and bottom layers are protective and contain the quilt’s patterns and design. The middle layer contains soft padding, which consists of materials like down, wool, or cotton. They’re usually a lot heavier and thicker than blankets, so they’re good for staying warm.
What kind of bedding should you use?
There are many types of bedding that you can use. The trick is to “customise” your bedding so you can be assured of a great night’s sleep. You should also take into consideration that the different kinds of bedding can also affect how easy it is to wash and clean them. Buying the best quilts in Singapore won’t make much of a difference if they are not easy to clean and are ruined easily.
Here are some things to keep in mind when washing your bedding. The methods you need to use and the difficulty of cleaning them are dependent on the materials of your bed linens.
1) Cotton. There’s a high chance that your bedsheets and blankets are made of cotton because it is one of the most affordable, popular options for linens. Fortunately, there’s a good reason for their popularity: they are highly durable and easy to clean. You can use regular laundry detergents and wash cycles, but take care to check special instructions.
2) Polyester. Another cheap alternative, polyester is stain resistant and durable too but can feel itchy. You’ll normally find it blended with cotton. For 100% polyester sheets, use warm water and mild detergent.
3) Silk. Want a more luxurious option? Silk is the first thing that comes to mind. They’re very fussy to clean, though. Use only lukewarm water, gentle detergents, and gentle wash cycles. Dry them carefully and keep silk blankets away from direct sunlight.
White Hotel Collection provides you with hotel-quality linens, pillows, and other accessories to help you sleep. Browse and buy the best bolsters, blankets, towels and hotel pillows in Singapore at our site.