The Secret to Quick Knee Pain Relief
Knee pain detracts from the overall quality of life and impedes mobility in severe cases. The debilitating pain in your knee can result from trauma, arthritis, or excessive strain on the musculoskeletal system. Thankfully, there are ways to relieve knee pain. However, some take longer and have little to no results. We sat with a board-certified orthopedic knee doctor to understand the efficacious techniques that can help you alleviate knee pain faster.
Causes of knee pain
Common causes of knee pain are:
- Arthritis- Among the different types of arthritis, the two common types likely to cause knee damage include osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis. Osteoarthritis accounts for a high percentage of knee pain cases since it is a degenerative disease, unlike rheumatoid arthritis which is an autoimmune condition.
- Ligament injuries- Ligament injuries from sporting activities, accidents, or brute force causes ligament injuries in two collateral ligaments and two cruciate ligaments.
- Patellar tendonitis is an inflammatory condition that weakens the patellar tendon. Patients with patellar tendonitis usually describe a dull pain radiating from the kneecap.
- Torn knee cartilage or a torn meniscus usually results from a sports injury. The meniscus is a C-shaped cartilage that can tear due to excessive straining and causes knee pain.
- Lack of muscle flexibility- If you don’t exercise your muscles, subtle exercise activities may pull them and cause knee pain.
How to relieve knee pain faster
Knee pain treatment plans vary from cause to cause. Only after a knee pain test at Integrity Orthopedics can you decide on an actionable knee pain remedy.
Most knee pain centers blend medication, surgery, and therapy to treat knee pain effectively. Your doctor will let you know the options. Some options you have for knee pain are:
Over-the-counter pain relief medicine, nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory medications, and injections are the medication options for knee pain relief. Your doctor will recommend suitable medicine after a definitive diagnostic test.
2 . Physical therapy
Physical therapy is the primary approach to knee pain management. Physical therapists formulate a therapy plan to strengthen muscles and improve mobility. Always contact your doctor before incorporating new exercises.
The old-age Chinese traditional way of managing pain still suffices in today’s world. Acupuncturists use tiny needles to target pressure points and influence how your body perceives pain.
If your body is unresponsive to primary pain relief methods or the cause of knee pain is a fracture, advanced osteoarthritis, or other advanced causes, an orthopedist may recommend knee surgery to correct the defects.
5. Ice and heat therapies
Complementary therapies such as heat and ice treatments are primary strategies to minimize pain in the knee. Use heat and ice therapy only for managing mild knee pain before seeking treatment.
The knee pain relief secret
Platelet-rich plasma (PRP) technology at Integrity Orthopedics is an innovative treatment method that leverages intrinsic body healing abilities. PRP technology uses your platelets to treat knee pain hence eliminating chances of infection during surgery.
Knee pain causes significant discomfort and immobility. Do not let knee pain deny you the joys of life. Schedule an appointment at Integrity Orthopedics for effective knee pain treatment. You will be glad you took this step.