Hand Sanitizer, A Good Hygiene Practice, Keeps you Clean & Safe
We have always heard about the importance of keeping hands hygienic and free of viruses and bacteria, but very few realize this unless they face the consequences of it. One of the easiest way to ensure clean hands is using an alcohol-based hand sanitizer. Read to know more about good hand hygiene.
The World Health Organization and the Centre for Disease Control (CDC) recommend the washing of hands with soap and water to reduce the spread of infections. It also advises that if water and soap are not available, a hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol should be used to prevent sickness and spread of germs.
Alcohol-based Hand sanitizer is available in liquid, gel or foam that is generally used to get rid of the infectious viruses and bacteria on the hands. Most alcohol-based hand sanitizers that are available in the market are a combination of isopropyl alcohol, ethanol (ethyl alcohol), or n-propanol. If you’re unable to get access to soap and water, it is recommended that you keep a bottle of sanitizer in handy. Here’s how a hand rub can be useful in many ways than one:
- Cleanliness: These products are formulated to kill 99.9% of germs, bacteria, viruses and other pathogens. Washing your hands with soap and water should be the ultimate option when you’re dealing with animals, garbage, preparing food or others. In addition to this, sanitizing your hands with a liquid gel or foam gives an added level of protection.
- Portable: You can carry the bottle of alcohol-based hand sanitizer or alcohol-free product when you’re travelling. During the mobility, it may not be possible to find access to water and soap; hence a hand sanitizer always helps. At the time of travel, you can simply slip a small bottle of sanitizer in your pocket or handbag.
- Gatherings or Group settings: When you’re in group settings like office, classrooms or any other space where there is a large group of people, hand sanitizer can be used periodically. People can carry their own bottle of hand rub or commercial such as these can place sanitizers in the premises where it is necessary.
- Reduce the risk of flu: The current pandemic situation necessitates the need for having a hand sanitizer. When you take a moment to sanitize your hands throughout the day, you save yourself from the risk of getting infected with any kind of disease. Even a quick trip to your friends’ house can expose you to various germs, using hand sanitizer frequently protects you to some extent.
- Soft hands: Most alcohol-based hand sanitizers can be harsh on your skin. It strips away the essential oil form your skin, as well as the healthy bacteria. On the other hand, if you switch to sensitive products like Dr Rhazes Ultra Protect Gel, it can actually improve the texture of the skin on your hands. The product gives 2 hours protection against viruses and bacteria. The Ultra Protect Gel contains 70% Ethanol and proprietary mix of anti-microbial compounds to protect you from the viruses and bacteria. It is ideal for everyday use.
Most of us use hand sanitizers the wrong way. Alcohol-based hand sanitizer can inactivate germs when used correctly. You should apply the product to the palm of one hand and rub the product all over the surfaces of your hands until your hands are dry. You should also remember that it should the secondary option for hygienic hands. If your hands are visibly dirty and soiled, soap and water are advisable.