Interesting marriage laws in the USA

You will be asked to verify the accuracy of the information on the marriage license before it is issued to ensure all the information provided is accurate and spelled correctly at the time of application. If applicants have previously been married, an original or certified copy of the divorce decree, annulment, dissolution, or death certificate from the most recent marriage is required. When the juvenile court files a consent to marriage pursuant to the juvenile rules, the probate court may issue a license not earlier than fourteen calendar days after the juvenile court files the consent, notwithstanding either or both the contracting parties for the marital relationship are the age of seventeen years.

(At least one of the applicants must be a resident of Franklin County for a marriage license to be issued by the Franklin County Probate Court.) State Laws marriage requirements to obtain and file a marriage license to receive a certified copy of your marriage certificate from the clerk’s office upon request. The marriage license fee is $100.00 CASH ONLY payable at the time of application.

Both parents, guardians or custodians of the minor(s) must be present when the application is being made and present photo I.D. to complete and sign a consent form in the County Clerk’s office at the Courthouse location. When the requirements to be issued a License and Certificate of Declaration of Marriage cannot be met because the marriage occurred less than one year ago, the couple cannot provide two witnesses who were present at the ceremony; or there is only one spouse available to apply. Complete the San Bernardino County Clerk’s Marriage License Application to better prepare you when completing the marriage application that can be completed in one of two ways before your license can be issued:

All applicants are required to complete an electronic marriage application on a kiosk located within one of the Recorder-County Clerk facilities. Non-religious ceremonies – called civil ceremonies – must be performed by a judge, justice of the peace, or court clerk who has the legal authority to perform marriages, or by a person given temporary authority by a judge or court clerk to conduct a marriage ceremony. (In some circumstances, you must apply in the county or town where you intend to be married – this depends on state law.) You’ll probably have to pay a small fee for your license, and you may also have to wait a few days before it is issued.

After the ceremony, it’s the officiant’s responsibility to return the marriage license to the county clerk, either by mail or in person. If you are planning on changing your name —during your visit to the county clerk to apply for your marriage license—now is the best time to do that. In Texas, for example, you must wait at least 72 hours before getting married after you apply for a marriage license to actually get married, meaning that if you put this off until two to three days before the wedding, the license wouldn’t be valid.

The Clerk of the Orphans’ Court takes marriage license applications and issues licenses, as well as certified copies thereof. The $55 marriage application/license fee may be paid in cash, money order, or Visa/Mastercard (credit cards can only be used when visiting the court in person). If you are planning to be married in Montgomery County, Maryland, you must obtain a marriage license from the Clerk of Montgomery County Circuit Court.  For more information on your local marriage laws, be sure to visit

In addition to the information available on this website, the Clerk’s Marriage License Department can answer your questions concerning the application for a marriage license in Martin County. After the marriage ceremony is complete, whoever you chose to perform the ceremony must sign and return your marriage license to the city or town clerk where the license was issued so it can be legally recorded. The couple completes a premarital education course described by Section 2.013 and provides to the County Clerk a premarital education course completion certificate indicating completion of the premarital education course, not more than 1 year before the date the marriage license application is filed with the Clerk.