Maintaining Your Natural Teeth in Texas
Having a toothache can make your days hard and painful. It denies you the freedom to eat or drink comfortably. Also, getting a specialist who will diagnose your exact problem is a hustle. San Antonio endodontic specialist provides state-of-the-art care to all patients with endodontics.
At Endodontic Consultants of San Antonio, the team is well equipped and experienced in offering personalized services to patients of all ages, ensuring they get the desired results. They preserve and protect your natural teeth, ensuring they promote your oral health and overall well-being. Please make sure your teeth are well taken care of for you to live a comfortable lifestyle. Call or book a consultation today and start your treatment plan.
Overview of endodontics
What is an endodontist?
An endodontist is a dental specialist who is highly trained in matters of oral health. Endodontists mainly deal with the inner part of the teeth. They use their techniques to treat root tissues and dental pulp. They make sure to save your natural tooth and relieve your pain.
What is tooth pulp?
The tooth pulp comprises the nerves, blood vessels, and other tissues deep inside each tooth. The pulp or connective tissue is based deep inside the enamel and helps teeth to grow in children. When your teeth decay or break, it can lead to infected tooth pulp. Pulpitis often causes toothache.
What does an endodontist do?
In comparison to dentists, endodontists have a higher level of expertise in performing root canal treatment. They diagnose complex pain in the tooth.
They also perform other dental surgeries, including:
- Endodontic retreatment for a root canal that did not heal properly
- Emergency dental surgery by treating severe tooth infections
- Tooth extraction surgery when its tissues are too severely damaged to be saved
- Dental implant to support prosthetics, such as bridges, to restore look and function after a tooth has been removed
- Endodontic surgery to remove the end or tip of a tooth’s root
What do endodontists treat?
Endodontists commonly treat the interior part of the tooth that has undergone damage due to the following reasons:
- Tooth decay, such as an untreated cavity
- Tooth injuries due to trauma
- A cracked tooth.
- A tooth abscess, a buildup of pus that forms when bacteria get inside your tooth or gums.
What is a root canal?
It is a form of treatment where an endodontist removes the injured pulp tissue to relieve pain and prevent bacteria from spreading further.
How is a root canal performed?
Your endodontist does the following during a root canal:
- Place a dental dam over your tooth to isolate the affected area and protect your mouth, such as from infection.
- Accesses the pulp tissue of your affected tooth.
- Removes damaged or diseased pulp tissue.
- Cleans the area inside a tooth.
- Fills and seals the tooth.
When should I call an endodontist?
You can visit an endodontist if you have:
- Lingering tooth pain
- Unexplained pain in your mouth or jaw
- Teeth that are sensitive to heat, cold, or sweet foods
- Inflammation near affected teeth or gums
Enjoy a healthy life free from pain by ensuring your teeth are well-taken care of. Seek the services of an endodontist who will ensure your pain goes away and maintain your natural teeth. If you have ongoing tooth or mouth pain, call or book through their online platform to reach out to an endodontist to discuss your treatment options.